food permit

Health Dept permit fees vary according to permit type and are renewable on an annual basis or upon change of establishment location or ownership.

It is unlawful for any person to operate a food establishment in Hall County without a current permit issued by the Central District Health Department and the State of Nebraska. More than one permit may be required depending on the type of foods or food services provided by the establishment. Permits are required to be prominently displayed at the place of business at all times.  Permits are not transferable to person or location.

Bakery – An establishment primarily operating to manufacture and sell baked goods, i.e., donuts, cakes, and breads.

Cafeteria –   A food establishment within a school facility.

Catering –   The transportation of ready to eat foods prepared in a permitted food service establishment to another location or building for service on a per event basis for hire (does not include a temporary food service event).

Drink Only (Licensed Beverage Establishment) –   An establishment that serves alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages and may or may not provide limited food service, e.g. frozen prepackaged sandwiches, frozen pizza, hot dogs, popcorn or any items not requiring preparation on site.

Food & Drink – A food operation that stores, prepares, packages, serves, vends, or otherwise provides food for human consumption.

Food Manufacturing/Warehouse – A commercial food operation that manufactures, packages, labels, or stores food for human consumption and does not provide food directly to the consumer.

Food Vending (Machines) – A vending machine operation that offers foods that contain dairy products, are dairy ingredient based, contain more than 15% natural fruit or vegetable juices; or foods that are considered potentially hazardous (foods requiring refrigeration or temperature control).

Limited Foods – An establishment that serves or otherwise provides only snack items or commercially prepared and wrapped foods that require little or no preparation.

Mobile Food Unit/Pushcart – A vehicle mounted food establishment designed to be readily moveable that returns to a commissary daily for clean up and service, unless self-contained.

Retail – Any store, location, or place of business occupied or used for the sale at retail to the public of groceries, fruits, vegetables, materials for human consumption or articles ordinarily and commonly sold from a grocery, fruit or vegetable store or stand.

Seasonal – The act of selling or offering for sale food items on a seasonal basis for a period of six consecutive months or less, at a concession stand, hot dog stand, ice cream truck, etc.

Separate Facility – Additional facility types operating within the scope of a permitted establishment.

Food Vendor Permit – Permit that allows the sale of food or drink that is prepared, packaged, served and/or sold from a temporary or mobile facility on the streets, alleys, easement, or other public or private property in the City of Grand Island.

Temporary Food Establishment – A food establishment that operates for a period of no more than three consecutive days in conjunction with a single event or celebration.

Always check with the Health Dept if you are unsure about which food permit type defines your business. There are several food operations that are exempt from needing a permit, however you must confirm this with a Food Safety Inspector or you will be subject to a penalty fee for operating without a permit.

Local Weather

°F | °C
Rain And Snow
Humidity: 99%

Who's Online

We have 44 guests online
Text Size