Skip to main content

Food Safety & Permits

If you live outside of Hall County, please click on the link below to view a map with contact information for the inspector in your area.

Area Inspector Map

CDHD Food Safety Program

The goal of the CDHD Food Safety Program is to minimize outbreaks of foodborne illness by ensuring that safe food is offered to the public by permitted and inspected establishments.

  • Enforce the Nebraska Pure Food Act and Food Code by conducting risk-based inspections of permitted food establishments and school cafeterias;
  • Issue local permits to Annual and Temporary Food Establishments operating in the city of Grand Island and Hall County;
  • Advise establishment managers on the development of Risk Control and Hazardous Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) plans;
  • Investigate complaints; Perform plan review/pre-operational inspections;
  • Work cooperatively with disease/illness investigative staff and with outside agencies on foodborne illness prevention and education;
  • Conduct food safety classes to educate employees working in the food industry;
  • Advise and answer questions related to food safety issues;
  • Inspect food involved in a disaster such as a truck wreck, establishment or warehouse fire, floods, etc.; and
  • Assist Nebraska Health & Human Services and the Nebraska Department of Agriculture – Food & Dairies Division with the enforcement and development of food safety related policies and guidelines.

To see a current copy of the Nebraska Pure Food Act and Food Code (State and City of Grand Island), click the links below:

Food Code (State)

Nebraska Pure Food Act

City of Grand Island Restaurant & Food Service Code

Click here to learn about the most recent FDA market recalls


Businesses operating without a permit or an expired permit are subject to both local and state penalty fees.

Always check with the Health Department if you are unsure about which food permit type defines your business. There are several food operations that are exempt from needing a permit, however you must confirm this with a Food Safety Inspector before operating.

Establishments changing location or ownership are also required to submit floor plans, new applications, and permit fees.

Permit applications are available to download, click here.


Public Health & Enforcement Laws